I was feeling pretty good during the first part of the hike. Being in nature gives me a buzz that few things can come close to matching. The dopamine from a comfortable work out was leaving me feeling content with life. Not only this but I felt rather smug about my level of preparation. I had my ipod so I could listen to "Lorna Doone" and finish my book group book. I had a hoodie because I figured it'd get cooler at the top. Finally, I brought pepper spray as evidence I was being safe and responsible. The last thing I'd want is to be attacked in the woods by some creep and be totally defenseless. Jill, the Jujitsu, Tae Kwon Do, Pepperspray warrior was unstoppable.
At least I felt this way until I heard a rattler about to strike at the edge of the trail. I probably leaped back a whole three feet and landed in a very rigid "WHHAAAAA!!" sort of pose. The pepper spray was close at hand but wouldn't do me much since I didn't know how far the pepper spray could shoot. Plus, I think if I had sprayed it then it would FOR SURE come after me. I didn't like the idea of being in the mountains by myself without any antivenom or a hiking side kick. ("Robin, pass me the Rattle Snake Bat Antivenom!!!)
I hoped the snake would eventually leave, but of course it just sat there rattling its tale and bobbing its head and flicking its little black tongue. It was a big snake, at least 9 segments on the rattle. I really didn't want to deal with it... However I did want to finish my hike. Finally, I decided to go around the rattler but it wasn't easy (there was a lot of foliage I had to weave through)
This has made me decide to add a new item to my bucket list. 102. Get a concealed weapons permit. Don't know when I'll get around to this one but I think it would be very worthwhile. Then if I ever come across another rattler or a cougar or something I can shoot it and avoid getting poisoned, mauled, eaten alive, or a combination of the above.
No comments:
Post a Comment